Thursday, August 29, 2013

Lettuce Wraps

Montanna and Eden got a PBS Kids Movie from the library. It was the TV Show Arthur and they sat and watched it one day. Inbetween episodes there was a commercial for healthy eating and showed kids enjoying lettuce wraps. The kids in the comercial even said, "healthy food is delicious" They pulled me into the room and asked me to rewind it and if we could eat Lettuce Wraps for dinner one night. They even kept repeating "healthy food is delicious"! I had no problem with making lettuce wraps and love eating them but since I already had a plan for dinner that night we didn't do it right then. 

We were busy until late the next night and ate a quick thrown together dinner and the girls were still asking for Lettuce Wraps. The next night I finally made them. I thought they were delicious!  I made a marinade with sesame seed oil, rice vinegar, lime zest, lime juice, red pepper flakes, green onions, minced garlic and poured 1/2 of the marinade over the steak and saved the other 1/2 to eat with the lettuce wraps. I cut the steak really thin and cooked it and added shoe string carrots, bean sprouts and water chestnuts and made rice to go with it. The girls were so excited about eating dinner that night until... they took a bite. 

They did not like lettuce wraps at all. It was one of those dinners where they had to take a few bites of everything and it was torture getting everything down. Bummer. But, at least they are willing to try new things even if a TV show was the inspiration behind that great idea.

2 comments:

Lesley Harvey said...

You almost feel bad for them! Wish it would have turned out better, but I guess disappointment is good sometimes.

Taryn said...

That is too funny. I love lettuce wraps. The ones at PF Changs are the best!